Friday, August 26, 2016
On August 25, 2016 the National Parks Service (NPS) turned 100. To celebrate the NPS created 99 Ways to Find Your Park, a linked list of 99 activities people can do in urban, nature, and historic parks. They also created the hashtag #FindYourPark for those wanting to post a picture or video of a park experience.
Monday, August 08, 2016
For example, if you want:
- information about candidates' foreign policies, check the Council on Foreign Relations site.
- information about a candidate's biography, voting record, positions, ratings, speeches, and funding, check Project Vote Smart.
- to see where candidates stand on a host of issues, check ProCon.org's Presidential Election site.
- to check whether candidates' statements are factual, access FactCheck.org.http://www.factcheck.org/ and/or POLITIFACT.
- more information about how delegates are awarded by the political parties or how the electoral college works, check the Presidential Election Process from USA.gov.
- information on elections, parties, voter behavior and campaigns, check CQ Voting & Elections Collection (subscription).
- information about campaign contributions, check the Federal Election Commission (FEC) and/or OpenSecrets.org.
- general information on evaluating candidates for public office, check USA.gov's Choosing Candidates to Vote for
Tuesday, August 02, 2016
Concerned that monitoring of the restoration of the Gulf coast after the Deepwater Horizon oil spill may be inadequate, the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine have created a publication identifying best practices for restoration monitoring, assessment, and synthesis. The publication also "offers specific guidance for a subset of habitats and taxa to be restored in the Gulf including oyster reefs, tidal wetlands, and seagrass habitats, as well as a variety of birds, sea turtles, and marine mammals." Download Effective Monitoring to Evaluate Ecological Restoration in the Gulf of Mexico for free on the Academies' site or purchase a paper copy for $52.00.